Estimator - (Est-7/2019)
ABOUT THE ROLE
This position is primary to the reviewing of plans, specifications, developing take off materials and gathering all details necessary for the final and accurate estimating of each assigned job.
Miller Electric Company - Omaha, NE 68105 US (Primary)
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Career Level: Administration
Date Needed By: 9/1/2019
Job Type: Full-Time-Salary-Exempt
Before placing a person in this position, a background check is required. Clean MVR is required. Before placing a person in this position, a DOT physical examination and drug test is required.
- Gather details for assigned projects, review all specification and information.
- Perform a quick overview of project drawings, other than electrical, and notate items/notes that will assist in more accurate electrical estimates.
- Perform a quick overview of electrical drawings to determine the nature of the project and best way to proceed.
- Develop a takeoff. Takeoffs consist of several systems; systems are grouped as:
- Light fixtures, branch lighting, distribution, feeders, fire alarms, communication and other such systems.
- Accurate takeoff of all systems, paying attention to drawing scales.
- Incorporate addendums and change into any takeoff.
- Enter takeoff into estimating program by systems.
- Determine a final price within the parameters of the estimating program.
- Put together a “scope of work” with our electrical price for general contractors/customers.
- Work with all customers on projects as assigned.
- Manage multiple projects at one time.
- Work with suppliers on obtaining material quotes.
- Work with general contractors as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Computer skills are essential for this position.
- Must be able to interact with customers and project managers and clearly communicate all aspects of the projects.
- Electrical systems knowledge is required for this position.
- Construction experience is desired for this position.
- Ability to work with complex projects, understand details of project management.
- Capable of handling several projects at one time, and meeting deadlines.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to handle highly confidential information/material.
- Computer skills, including email, routine database activity, word processing, and spreadsheets.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to identify when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong and to then solve the problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Manual Dexterity - The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Light physical activity. Minimal lifting (up to 25lbs). Non-strenuous activities of an administrative nature.
Miller is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V